African Union and the Institute of Security Studies celebrate the life and Leadership of Dr Salim Ahmed Salim
African Union in collaboration with the Institute for Security Studies (ISS), the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD), the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue, and the Mwalimu Nyerere Foundation paid tribute to Dr Salim Ahmed Salim, former General-Secretary of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU) and Chairperson of the Ibrahim Prize, on 2 December in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The theme was ‘Salim – wise man, freedom fighter and defender of peace and justice’.
The event, chaired by Dr Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma, Chairperson of the African Union, featured a keynote address by Dr Salim Ahmed Salim on his vision for Africa.
Dignitaries and close associates who provided reflections on his career highlights included:
- Dr Tedros Adhamon, Minister of Foreign Affairs,Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
- Carlos Lopes, Executive Secretary of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA)
- Joseph Butiku, Executive Director and Trsutee of the Mwalimu Nyerere Foundation
- David Harland, Executive Director of the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue
- Saïd Djinnit, Special Envoy of the United Nations Secretary-General for the Great Lakes Region, former African Union Commissioner for Peace and Security
- Vasu Gounden, Founder and Executive Director of the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD)
To read the full keynote address, click the link below.